This charming story presents a new way for young children to understand how to creatively embrace who they are, no matter what others think. Carla’s lunch box is filled with odd delights like the Olive, Pickle and Green Bean Sandwich, the Banana-Cottage-Cheese Delight, and the unforgettable Chopped Liver, Potato Chips, and Cucumber Combo. They are delicious and creative lunches to Carla, but her teasing classmates are unconvinced and abandon her at the lunch table to eat her bizarre sandwiches alone.
Carla’s Sandwich Video
Themes in this story
Tolerance, Accepting Differences
- What is your opinion of the weird sandwiches Carla made?
- Why didn’t anyone want to sit next to Carla?
- Why does Buster decide to try the sandwich?
- Why do you think the other characters decided to try the sandwich after Buster?
- Were you surprised that Carla brought a peanut butter and jelly sandwich at the end of the story? Why?
Carla’s Sandwich Puzzle
Carla’s Sandwich Interactive Video
Carla’s Sandwich Story Sequence
Make a Sandwich
Ingredients for Making a Sandwich Memory Game
Tap a pair of tiles to see if they are a match.
Can you tell all the ingredients for each of these sandwiches? After naming the ingredients, come up with a special name for each sandwich.